Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

workbook




I'm back to thinking about work. About not wasting time. I think a lot of us are increasingly uncomfortable with how we're using the internet. I laughed when I heard about the new social networking site Ello. I already know that Facebook is taking up too much of my mental state, so there's no way I'm going to add another distraction, no matter how enticing the format. I was reading about "Rescue Time" which is a program that you install on your computer to measure how long you're spending on what tasks. I'd be terrified to know, really, how much time I spend on Facebook, though I do use the program called, "Self-Control" to limit what sites I can access during various times of the day. 

When we brought our topiary plants indoors a couple of weeks ago, there was a visitor that came with. Rob, being Rob, detached the web and carried it back outside so the spider could have another chance.

I love these words by Louise Bourgeois:

“The spider is a repairer. If you bash into the web of a spider, she doesn’t get mad. She weaves and repairs it.”


I'm trying to think of my work, my writing, whatever form it takes, as a spider web. It gets left, bashed into, the wind takes a bit of it, becomes weathered. Imperfections occur. But the thing to do is just get back into it, repair it. 

There are words, strange ones sometimes, that a writer ends up loving. A word I love, is: WORK. 

When we went to New York and MOMA the first time, when Chloe was 10 (so six years ago), I bought a notebook. It was made of kraft paper, and had the word, workbook, stamped onto the front. One of those notebooks, I loved so much, I couldn't write in it. Until recently. I wish all my journals/notebooks had the word workbook stamped on the front. A reminder. Work, and do not waste time. 

Although the book came out in 2011, I somehow missed the fact of Steven Heighton's lovely and slim book titled, Workbook. I've put it on my recommended shelf above. 

A couple of short excerpts from the book, though I'm sure I'll talk about it more in future posts:


"The writing life, like life in general, has a sacramental and a secretarial side. As years pass and debts and duties accrue, the secretarial, clerical mode spreads like a lymphoma and starts to squeeze life from the sacramental, creative side."   
"Learn to be irresponsible when necessary, without guilt. Let bills breed in unmarked drawers. Let the inbox throng and fester. Lend yourself wholly to the momentum when inspiration commands; take care of marginal things in their own time." 
- Steven Heighton




Well, I'm heading to Toronto tomorrow to participate in what could be thought of as part of the secretarial side of the writing life. One reading in Toronto with my press mates from Seraphim Editions, and then another in Hamilton.  I'll be back here on Tuesday and will let you know how it all goes.

In the meantime, wishing you all calm things.....





3 comments:

  1. I loved 'Workbook' - it's a fantastic book and you've given me a great reminder to re-read it again. Enjoy Toronto! I love that city so much.

    RE: "I think a lot of us are increasingly uncomfortable with how we're using the internet."

    THIS. Yes. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I hope your day was good in Toronto and you'll inform us about your experiences. Éva from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent quote from Steven Heighton. All the best in TO.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...