Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

winter blessings



Winter Is the Best Time

by David Budbill


Winter is the best time
to find out who you are.

Quiet, contemplation time,
away from the rushing world,

cold time, dark time, holed-up
pulled-in time and space

to see that inner landscape,
that place hidden and within.




{source}




Snow 

by Anne Sexton

Snow,
blessed snow,
comes out of the sky
like bleached flies.
The ground is no longer naked.
The ground has on its clothes.
The trees poke out of sheets
and each branch wears the sock of God.

There is hope.
There is hope everywhere.
I bite it.
Someone once said:
Don't bite till you know
if it's bread or stone.
What I bite is all bread,
rising, yeasty as a cloud.

There is hope.
There is hope everywhere.
Today God gives milk
and I have the pail.







You might remember back in the spring I shared Max Richter's Vivaldi Recomposition of "Spring." I think it's now time for winter:







As difficult as I sometimes find winter, there's part of me that agrees with the sentiment "winter is the best time." I really feel the snow as blessed, the frost. The light, early morning in winter, is blessed. There is hope, even if we have to repeat this to ourselves over and over to believe it.

Yesterday morning there was a beautifully heavy frost. The night previous, before bed, we looked out our front window and there had been a fog, so I knew the next day would produce some interesting weather related phenomenon. Part of me wanted to hop in the car and drive somewhere and take photos there. It wouldn't last, though, especially on a sunny day. So off I went on my usual.

Besides, it seemed a sort of loyalty to my path.












I think this next one is my favourite of the bunch.





The frost was so heavy, everything hung with the weight of it.





You can see Ace has the posing thing down. This is his noble dog looking off into the distance pose.






I take a photo from a similar spot quite often. But I liked the faint trace of an airplane in the upper righthand corner of this one:





A different stand of trees, on our way home, that we often tromp through.




A particular tree on the way back through the streets, full of chickadees - too high up to properly capture with my short lens.




The light gets higher on our way home. The frost won't last long in those branches.















Close to home, on one of the side streets. This tree. Also full of birds.








An overload of photographs today, then. But if you're the sort who likes to take pictures of cold things, then this has been a pretty spectacular winter so far.....many blessings to be found in the season.





8 comments:

  1. All that frost is so magical! I wish our beginning to winter had been as spectacular. There are so many months to go so I'm sure we'll get lots of magical winter moments before it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will! :) It happens rather earlier here than some places, lol!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Shawna. Only beautiful. Love Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single thing about this post is pure magic! Thanks so much, Shawna for starting my day off with your wonderful ability to convey such beauty! (And, by the way, we finally have snow here in Québec City - yay!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Glad to hear you have some snow :) Though not as much as Buffalo received.....yikes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...