Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

it is permitted





Da Capo

by Jane Hirshfield

Take the used-up heart like a pebble
and throw it far out.

Soon there is nothing left.
Soon the last ripple exhausts itself
in the weeds.

Returning home, slice carrots, onions, celery.
Glaze them in oil before adding
the lentils, water, and herbs.

Then the roasted chestnuts, a little pepper, the salt.
Finish with goat cheese and parsley. Eat.

You may do this, I tell you, it is permitted.
Begin again the story of your life.




- poem found via Saveur, in an article by Stacey Harwood, "A Feast for Bards: 13 Favorite Food Poems"


I think far too much about food. (This, too, is permitted). But then, I'm the one who does the grocery shopping, meal planning, and about two thirds of the cooking in our household. I'm not complaining - Rob does the laundry and many other chores. Early in our marriage, the duties were more or less naturally divided, and it's worked for us, very well. So, I spend too much time on Pinterest pinning to my Food board. I still look in magazines for recipes, in books. Always trying to find things we all will like and that are healthy.

But this one was just for me.

I found the recipe for turmeric milk (via Pinterest) on a site called Nutrition Stripped. Totally delicious.





The weekends, Sunday in particular, is for cooking, cleaning, organizing, grocery shopping. Which sounds quite dull, but it's also calming.....I know that the week ahead will be better because of it.

But I also managed a coffee date with C. at Chapters/Starbucks. Rob and I watched Daniel Deronda, which is on my library DVD picks list. I really love Romola Garai - and she's splendid in this one.





A last photo of lunch on Saturday. Which R and I enjoyed, and C had.....something else :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...